Good morning! I’m comin’ atcha live with an early morning blog post before I head off to work. It was a busy weekend here and one filled with lots of amazing friends, food, and sun! The weather in Rochester was absolutely beautiful and it looks like the sunny weather streak will be continuing through the week!
Before getting into today’s post, I thought I would share a quick recap from the weekend.
My Friday afternoon at work seemed to move a heck of a lot slower than the average Friday. I was so excited because I knew that in just a few short hours I would be reunited with my best friend! Megan was coming into town for a housewarming celebration our other best friend, Holly, and her fiance, Chris. This past Saturday also just so happened to be Meg’s 24th birthday, so we had double the celebrating to do!
We started our Friday night off with dinner at Tony D’s, an Italian restaurant in Rochester that has delicious coal fired pizza. The perfect destination for two very hungry, pizza-loving girls! I ordered the Nicoletta pizza, which was topped with basil pesto, artichokes, roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella! So good! Megan had the margherita pizza and said it was tasty as well!
After dinner, we made our way downtown and had a fun night catching up and ringing in her 24th. We had planned on being home around midnight or so, but we somehow made it all the way to 2 AM. Well! I guess we aren’t grandmas after all!
We needed to run a few errands before the housewarming party so we got ourselves together and first made a pit stop at Starbucks. I decided to finally try the Instagram-famous “Pink Drink” that has popped up on my feed a handful of times. I learned it is actually just a Strawberry Acai Refresher but is made with coconut milk instead of water which gives the drink a creamier and sweeter flavor. You also have your choice of fresh strawberries or blackberries in it. This seriously tastes as good as it looks!
(Photo from my Snapchat: @laurenrubadeau)
We then picked up my boyfriend, Kevin, and off we were to the party! I was amazed to see how Chris and Holly’s house has already transformed into a home – just a couple short months after moving in. They have a fenced in yard that is perfect for their dog and a gorgeous in-ground pool. It was a such a fun day spent with friends and I am looking forward to more future get-togethers at their new home!
Healthy Grocery List Staples
I usually set aside some time on Saturday or Sunday to create a detailed grocery list with meals planned for the week. However, having a list of some staple items that I like to have on hand makes the whole planning process that much easier!
- Chicken Breast –When I am filling a bit uninspired (okay…lazy), I will try to find pre-marinated kinds that are low in fat and carbs. Saves time and tastes great!
- Ground Turkey –I go for 93% lean. Makes great turkey burgers and good tossed in with rice or eggs.
- Lean beef
- Bacon/Turkey bacon
- Eggs/Egg whites – An ideal protein source! Egg whites contain no fat or carbs. Mix some in with veggies for a high volume, protein packed meal!
- Whey Protein Powder – So convenient to keep on hand. I love to add a scoop to my smoothies or use for baking when making protein pancakes, muffins, waffles, etc.
- Greek Yogurt
- Cottage Cheese – If you can’t get past the texture (like me), try adding to waffle and pancake batter to make them fluffy and moist.
- Chia Seeds – Also rich in fiber, omega-3 fats, vitamins and minerals.
Grains and Carbohydrates:
- Oatmeal/Oats – A staple breakfast item for me. When topped with some sort of nut butter and fruit it will keep me full for hours!
- Rice Cakes
- Rice – White rice is easy and quick to digest. Brown rice will help with your fiber intake and is a little more filling.
- Whole Wheat Bread/Pitas/Tortillas
- Whole Wheat Pasta – Barilla makes a great whole grain penne. Toss with steamed veggies, some organic tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese for an easy weeknight meal.
- Cereal – I love having a box handy for quick snacks, to have with fruit, or toss a handful on some yogurt. Most cereals are quite low in fat.
- Potatoes – White, Red, Sweet, Yellow
- Coconut Oil/Olive Oil
- Nut Butters – Just have to keep in mind the serving size. 🙂
- Flaxseed/Flaxseed Oil – Great for digestion!
- Dark Chocolate
- Shredded Coconut
- Blueberries/Raspberries/Blackberries – All high in antioxidants.
- Bananas – Carb dense! Great for a pre-workout snack to fuel your energy and have tons of positive vitamins packed in.
- Leafy Greens – Spinach, Kale, Cabbage, etc
- Bell Peppers – Peppers and the veggies listed below are great for adding flavor and volume to meals!
And there ya have it! 🙂 Hopefully this list provided some ideas to get the ball rolling when it comes to prepping a healthy grocery trip.
What are some of your favorite healthy grocery items to keep on hand?