Thanks for dropping by today! This blog post is geared towards some tips that have been working for me as I try to stay on track with healthy eating and exercise over the weekends. More often than not, I have no problem sticking to my routine Monday-Thursday, but as soon as Friday hits, my discipline and motivation seem to slip away. Consistency is by far the most challenging piece for me while trying to make improvements in my fitness journey. Hopefully a few of the suggestions below will be able to help if you happen find yourself in the same boat. I would love to hear some of your favorite tips for staying on track in the comments section below!
1. Begin the mornings with a healthy breakfast
The oldest trick in the book – but it works! I find that starting my mornings off with a healthy breakfast really sets the tone for the rest of the day and somehow keeps me in my “healthy” work-week mode. Some of my favorite go-to breakfasts are:
- Oatmeal with cinnamon, peanut butter & banana. Quick oats + water + 1:30 in the microwave + splash of almond milk = voila!
- Eggs and Ezekiel toast with avocado. I will usually either scramble 1 egg and 2 egg whites to have on the side or I will cook an egg over easy and top it on the avocado toast. Something about the combo of egg yolk + mashed avocado is SO delicious!
- Siggi’s Vanilla Yogurt with some raw cacao nibs and fresh raspberries. Siggi’s has been my current go-to yogurt! It is really thick, creamy and high in protein.
- Protein pancakes. I love using Kodiak Cakes (found at Target) as my base mix and then add in a half serving or so of protein powder.
- Fruit smoothie. The options are endless! Here is the recipe I’ve been using lately:
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened original almond milk
- 1 cup frozen berry mix (Fresh fruit absolutely works too! Just be sure to add in some extra ice.)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Blend all ingredients until you reach a desired consistency. I love my smoothies extra thick and will sometimes resort to “eating” them with a spoon. 🙂
2. Save your favorite workout for the weekend
I like to pick my favorite muscle group to train and save it for the weekend. This makes it easier for me to schedule in a hour or so of my weekend for the gym since it is a workout I am truly looking forward to. I used to save cardio and abs (least favorite day) for the weekend and found myself so much more likely to skip.
3. Plan for the upcoming week
This is absolutely key for helping me stay motivated and keeping my goals in sight. I dedicate an hour or so on Saturday or Sunday to research some new healthy recipes to try, create recipes of my own, put together a grocery list, and jot down my workouts for the week. I like to keep this all in one notebook as a sort of diary. In a few weeks when I am feeling a bit blah about my current routine, I can flip back to find old recipe ideas and workouts that will suddenly seem fresh again!
4. Keep active
Incorporate active plans into your weekend. As soon as the weather in Rochester is nice, I am itching to get outside and explore! My favorite thing to do on the weekends is to find a new spot to hike or run. It’s a break from my usual routine and a great switch-up for the muscles – and mind! 🙂
5. Have some healthy & portable snacks ready to go
Avoid that hanger attack! When I know I have a busy day out of the house ahead, I pack snack options with that will provide me with some lasting-power and ones that will hold up well either in my purse or in the car for a few hours. Some of my favorite handy snacks are:
- Lenny & Larry’s Complete Cookie (Forewarning… 1 serving is actually only HALF the cookie. Oops.)
- Quest Bars (Leave it on your car dashboard if it’s a warm day and the sun will soften and make it ooey-gooey delicious for when you’re ready to snack!)
- 2 chocolate rice cakes with almond butter (Stick them together like a sandwich and throw in a Ziploc baggie in your purse! Sweet + salty = the best.)
- 100 calorie nut packs + an apple
- Beef or turkey jerky
6. Limit the alcohol
This one is a toughie for me. I absolutely love socializing, going out, and spending time with friends on the weekend but don’t love the hangovers or the groggy feeling the morning after drinking. It can be tricky to find that balance but I’ve realized it is possible to have fun with your friends and not fall off track from your goals.
(Photo from my Snapchat: @laurenrubadeau)
7. Have your water bottle on hand
I have recently gotten into the habit of always refilling my water bottle before I leave the house. If I have water handy – I’ll drink it! I jazz it up by adding some lemon or cucumber slices when things get boring. I have also been loving Crystal Light’s Liquid Drink Mix in the Mango Passonfruit flavor. Lots of flavor and 0 cals!
8. The most important tip of all
Take the time to do what you love, have fun and relax! This is the weekend after all 🙂 Don’t forget to enjoy it!