Happy December, friends!
It’s hard to believe that November has already come and gone and we are now really getting into the thick of the holidays. I am a wee bit behind on the shopping list and also have some DIY gift ideas saved on Pinterest that I may give a shot. If all goes well, I would absolutely love to share the final product with you in an upcoming blog post!
By now I have to assume you’ve noticed the recipe along with today’s post and may be thinking to yourself, “Smoothie bowl?! In December? She must be off her rocker.” BUT stay with me here. 🙂
After tackling a HIIT & Ripped class at the gym on Tuesday (recently unemployed = copious amounts of free time = experimenting with new group classes = instant mood booster) I then can home a hungry, hot and sweaty mess.
I whipped up my 5 minute go-to smoothie bowl, this time with the added benefit of acai powder.
I had been doing some research on the benefits of this supplement and learned that the acai berry is a powerful “superfood.” (Quotations because there are certain words you just feel cheesy saying, ya know?)
The acai berry contains antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and tons of other added nutrients. It actually has even more antioxidants than red wine, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. But… if we’re being totally honest here, my heart would still pick the wine.
Last grocery trip, I picked up a 4 oz. pouch of Navitas Naturals Acai Powder in the organic health foods section of Wegmans for $15.99. I found some other great options on VitaCost or Amazon if you were interested in shopping around yourself.
Alrighty – back to the recipe!
I blended in two tablespoons of the powder into my go-to smoothie bowl recipe and loved the flavor it added. It was slightly bitter, but bitter in the sense that all I mainly tasted was a nice flavor of rich dark chocolate. Yum!
If you’re feeling burnt out with your current breakfast routine, I suggest giving this acai smoothie bowl a go!
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen sliced banana
- 2 tablespoons acai powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk (add more or less as needed depending on desired consistency)
- 1 tablespoon nut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon honey to taste
- Toppings as desired! Some of my favorites are fresh berries, sliced banana, cacao nibs, sliced almonds, granola, shredded coconut flakes and pomegranate seeds.
- Add frozen strawberries, frozen banana slices, acai powder, almond milk, nut butter and honey to a blender.
- Blend until smooth, adding extra almond milk as needed depending on consistency preference.
- Pour into bowl and add toppings as desired
And there ya have it! A very simple, nutrient-rich and customizable breakfast to keep in your rotation when you just need to switch things up. 🙂
What is your favorite breakfast food?
Have you tried a smoothie bowl before? What are some of your favorite toppings?